Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 chickens eating sunflower seeds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chickens eating sunflower seeds Next Topic  

free bird
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laura
Victoria Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2004 :  05:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My chickens love to eat sunflower seeds. I was worried that the hulls would be too much for their systems. They eat the small kind of sunflower seeds--so they're very small, but they eat them whole, hull and all. There seem to be no bad effects from eating them. But I was just curious if any of you have come across this.

My chickens also eat the usual other grains like cracked corn and millet, etc, but they aren't really satisfied unless I mix sunflower seeds in. They also eat a lot of garden insects and worms and grass and such, and I feed them treats of fruit sometimes. They go crazy over bananas. But it's sunflower seeds that they have come to depend on as a staple. I hope the sunflower hulls are okay for them. Anyway, have any of you had any ill effects from chickens eating sunflower seeds whole with the hulls?

I love my chickens

KJAMES
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

KAREN
SC
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2004 :  09:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will try the sunflower seeds on my chickens. I always have a 25lb bag because I feed the squirrels.
My chickens love cabbage and apples. I have a small rooster "Speed Chicken" that will chase you if he thinks you are giving out apple cubes.
Wonder if the goats will eat sunflower seeds. Can't seem to keep my goats from eating the chicken feed. They seem to think it is better than goat feed.
I have a old hen named Thelma that I can pet and carry around. She acts more like a dog than a chicken.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2004 :  09:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like sunflower seed would be a good source of protien for the chickens and the hulls would just be fiber. Can't see why it would hurt.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

KJAMES
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

KAREN
SC
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2004 :  10:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone told me that it isn't good to feed oats to chickens. Does anyone know if this is true? I feed oats to my goats and since the chickens are in the fence with the goats they eat what is left over. I sure hope it is OK, chickens seem to be fine so far.
I am thinking about getting a couple of bee hives in the spring time. Wondered if anyone had any input. Both my Dad and Grand Dad raised bees, thought it would be a nice way to remember them.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2004 :  08:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's okay to feed oats to chickens. If you want them to grow or to lay, they need more protein, though. When my chickens are molting, I feed them more oats but once they are done, they go back on the higher protein diet.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  8:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would worry about the goat eating chicken food. If it is just hen scratch, no problem but goats can get really really sick from eating layer mash or pellets. I am not sure (can't remember) what it is in it that makes them sick, but I would be careful.
I have fed oats to my hens and sunflower seeds too..they do fine on them. I just use the sunflower seeds as a supplement though, not the main, or only feed.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  12:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hmm I think I will try some of sun flowerseeds for my chickes. I have tried oats and they do not like it one bit. But the squirls usually get what the chickens leave behind.

Happiness must be grown in one's own garden!
Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  10:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunflower seeds: here's my experience. I have raised Dairy Goats on a small city yard for 12 years. My custom feed mix includes sunflower seeds with the hulls on. The hulls do provide roughage. The seeds are high in protein, and have vitamin E too. My mix also includes oats, corn, and soybean pellets. Total protein is about 16%. The seeds store better with the hulls on. Feeding them helps their coat stay glossy, I think.

To figure out the actual nutritional value of every grain, seed, root, etc, the best book I know of is "Feeds and Feeding" by Morrison. Get a version from 1919 through about 1956, from www.bookfinder.com, www.alibris.com, etc. This is a standard agricultural text. The information is marvelous and complete. He was clear and succinct about the need to serve both legumes and grains in order to make maximum use of proteins/amino acids which complement each other, way back in 1919. Five decades before Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet."

Chickens can decide for themselves what is good to eat, don't worry about that! We feed them every scrap from our kitchen, rotten or fresh, and they eat it all. The grit, sand and gravel in their crops will grind up the hulls of the sunflower seeds.
However, if you want them to lay well, make sure they have feed with about 20% protein. When ours can go outside in the afternoon, they don't need as much chicken feed, since they eat bugs and greens.

Find local raw milk on www.localharvest.com. "If you complain about farmers, don't do it with your mouth full."
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chickens eating sunflower seeds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJanesFarm Farmgirl Connection © 2014 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000